Sunday, October 5, 2008

exercise #17

Decided to look at widgets seeing as I didn't have a clue what they are, but have heard the term before.
Looked really simple and easy - followed the instructions to post the podcast for BBC world radio to my blog from Shoutcast Radio - BBC World Service. This told me I had successfully saved it to my blog - yay! This is easy! But nothing there.
Tried enlisting Kathy's much more expert advice. Ended up going to BBC World service website and tried subscribing to the podcast that way - then we both floundered from there. We did manage to put it into Bloglines as an RSS feed, but couldn't make it link to my blog as promised. So - not as simple as it seemed. Half an hour later we were still trying to figure out how to post the podcast to my blog. Got as far as adding a sidebar - have no clue how we got there. How disappointing when it all looked so very simple at the start.

1 comment:

NSL Training Support Team said...

Well done! You have not only subscribed to the podcast in your Bloglines but also went the extra mile and added the feeds to your blog using the side bar gadgets. If you want to embed the widget itself in your blog's side bar try the following:

- click on copy me
- then click on the + icon (copy embed code)
- click on copy underneath the block of code
- sign in to your blog
- go to layout
- click on the side bar add a gadget
- click on the + button of the HTML/Javascript gadget in the list
- paste the code in the body (you can add a title if you want to do that)
- click on save.